Thursday, September 6, 2012

Who am I?



"Wherever You Will Go" -The Calling


 


"The only person you need to try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday.” –Unknown

Who am I? I am Benjamin Lee McQuiston. I was born in Lincoln, Nebraska. We lived in Lincoln until the turn of the millennium. As a child, I have a couple lasting memories of Lincoln. One, I had a sweet tree house I lived in. If I could have grown up in that tree, I really would of. Second, Lincoln is just too crowded. This would only become my last worry when moving to Aurora. Once I moved to Aurora, I made friends immediately. My first friend, Cole Ashby, my best friend to this day was there waiting the first day of preschool. I think it all came together on our first Halloween together. He dressed as Stone Cold Steve Austin and I dressed as my favorite Nascar driver, Jeff Gordon. (Yes helmet, shoes, and all) I knew I had a friend after that day.

As I have grown up one word sticks out to me. Active. I have been active my entire life. I believe being a part of the Aurora community has done that to me. Growing up in Aurora is a lot like Lay’s Potato Chips. Betcha can’t eat just one; well I bet you can’t just try out one thing here. I play everything imaginable. Baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, track, and oh yeah football. I spent my five summers from 11 to 15 years old playing travel baseball for the Lincoln Dodgers. Yes, I did just say Lincoln. I got to know the interstate well growing up and coming to visit my birth town often. By playing competitive every weekend for five years, I understand what a great team mate is. Encourage, Encourage, Encourage. That is one trait that will stay with me throughout my life on this planet. Sports have been a focus in my life, but other things have caught my eye. Future Business Leaders of America, Student Council, Circle of Friends, National Honors Society, Ambassadors program, and God teens every Wednesday night. These major organizations have shaped me into the person I am. I have learned so many traits by staying committed. Honesty, Integrity, Trust, Loyalty, Confidence, and Flexible. When the going gets tough I know I will always have the framework to lean back on because of these traits I have been taught. By sticking to these activities I know I have gotten the most out of my short life so far. When thinking back of who am I now? I can confidently write that I am someone who has lived life with no regrets.

None of these things that have happened in my life would have been possible without my family. I have the father and mother in the entire world, Mike and Linda. They are always there for me in any situation. They know when to give me support, or when I need encouragement to push me to greater things. Mike, my dad, is the strongest man I know. With the struggles he faces everyday with his job, you could never tell a difference in his personality. He does more for the good of others than anyone else I could ever think of. I can always count on him to make me smile with one of his famous jokes. Linda, my mom, is that one person I can tell anything too. Her understanding is something that has always been there with me. Any time I need advice on a situation, I can always count on her word to give me guidance. Laura, my sister, is someone I have always looked up too. While growing up she was always the one playing. She taught me how to be tough and understand that nothing is given to you in life. Even being away in Lincoln now, I feel our relationship has only grown closer as the distance has increased. I am truly grateful to live the life I do and blessed in endless ways.

My future will find me. This is something that I have come to a conclusion of. I am such an indecisive person. One day I want to be a business person that wears that suit to work every day. The next day I see myself as a teacher, coach, and leading the youth. No matter what I choose to do in life I know I will never be alone. I know that God will always be there to have my back. I also know he has a plan for me. I am letting it take its course because everything happens for a reason. I’m just a passenger letting God steer my way.

           

1 comment:

  1. Ben, well, personally, I think you would make a GREAT teacher and coach! I know you could do the business thing, but I don't know how you could stand a suit and tie! You are such a good role model for young adults. I think you really do take that responsibility seriously. (Most of the time--except during football season when watching video is so dang tempting!)!:) You are indeed blessed by your family and upbringing!

    ReplyDelete